Thursday 13 December 2007

Late in the morning, thankful by afternoon!

08.10: Woke up for the first time today. Damn alarm. Decided to sleep again until 2nd alarm goes off.
08.20: 2nd alarm, put it on snooze. Got >1hr till I have to be in (09:30).
09.20: Woke up and started cursing! 10mins and counting. (literally) jump out of my bed and into the bathroom.
09.26: Grabbed a green linen shirt and brown corduroy pant. Where is my boots?
09.31: Foundation! Foundation! Powder and gloss. Ready Set Go.
09.35: Nope, not quite yet ready! Fumbled over my (big, messy) stash of papers trying to find infos regarding my patient.
09.37: Quick email to my tutor. (Editor's note: She really should have done this last night!) Sent him first draft of my case study.
09.40: Out of house.
09.43: Reached NRU. Panting like mad.
09.45: First patient arrived. (15mins late) pheeewhh.

Lucky again.

So I sat in the outpatient clinic with my tutor. I was bored to death. I don't know any of the drugs prescribed. I don't even know that there are actually many different type of wheelchairs available. And I certainly don't want to hear complaints regarding erectile dysfunction. Just not this morning. When I'm was still drowsy (but certainly putting up a good show).

During lunchtime, I sat in the office going through my patient's case note (3-inches worth of papers). God , help me. I can't be asked to read through all that. What a waste of my young and exciting life. I went to see my patient instead and asked him to fill me in with details. However, he couldn't remember most of things in his past (secondary to traumatic brain injury). What a shame!

There was this one specific section that I really need that hasn't been updated. I asked the secretaries for the latest version and was quite persistent in doing so. After 30mins looking for it, I was certain that I have become their new enemy! I will have to make do with the version available. grrr..

The patient that I'm talking about is a patient I decided to write on about. He has complex physical, visual, cognitive, emotional and behavioural problems for which he is in the NeuroRehab Unit for. He was involved in a road-traffic accident almost 10months ago and prognostically he might be able to walk again. Bless him, he is only 22.

He had just had his hair cut and apparently he thinks he looks better with the new style (well- joint the club!!!) I just didn't have a heart to tell him that his skull scar (for craniotomy and cranioplasty) is now more obvious than ever. He offered me chocolate (from his drawer. It is full of chocolate- he possibly wins over me in term of largest chocolate collection at one time) and we shared a Cadbury's moment (cliche!!!) arguing about the best chocolate ever.

I joined in the group therapy session where 4 patients played 'carpet bowling' and 'snowman drive'. It was heart-rending to see all of them tried so hard yet kept on missing the pins just because of hemiparesis/paraparesis all of them having. Frustration was high.

I thank God for all good limbs that I have.

No comments: