Thursday 20 December 2007

Eiduladha and a story of a virgin

Eiduladha was celebrated on Wed 19th Dec 2007 in Great Britain. I was invited to go to my friend's place in the North East. Last year I celebrated Eiduladha with the same family. So I guess, this gonna be a tradition for me from now on. My friend is actually one of my dear housemates (whom will be referred to as HouseMate Number 1- HM#1). HouseMate Number 2- HM#2 tagged along quite happily.

Eiduladha is a celebration of sacrifice in relation to the story of one of the prophets. Normally Muslims all over the world pay respect to this Eid by giving offerings of meat of freshly butchered (HALAL!) on the morning of the Eid itself. Offerings go to the less fortunate ones. Like orphans, poor people, families struggling with a lot of kids. Money from the selling of the meat will be channeled for good cause. Those who buy the offerings will usually cook the meat and then serve them for guests (close families, long-lost families, friends and neighbours).

The teaching of Islam is so good, it can't be wrong. It is all about peace, loving, sharing and helping. I will explain more if I know how to write them in good pieces. All Islamic teachings I received was in my mother tongue during my younger years. So I don't know what are the translation for quite a large number of words. And I think its a shame for me not being able to explain about Islam when I'm a Muslim. I'm not in anyway super religious, but I'm certainly a practicing Muslim. Insya-Allah.

Ok, back to the Eid celebration. I knew that there was going to be loads of food. HM#1's mom is an excellent cook. She cooked the offerings in traditional Indian-Subcontinential cooking. Her family had a load of guests on Wed, guests being close families friends. I helped in serving them. And ate a lot too. HM#1's dad kept on asking us to have second helpings. Me and HM#2 had no problem at all with that and even extended the helpings to the 3rd and 4th. (Editor's Note: P53 and her appetite. tut tut tut...)

Earlier on that day me, HM#2 and HM#1's family went for an Eid prayer at a mosque in town. I felt so happy to see so many Muslims standing shoulders-to-shoulders during the congregation prayer. I hardly have anything like that in Small City. The Muslims population in Small City is quite big but there's no mosque nearby where I live that can accommodate to female members for congregation prayer. There were a bigger proportion of Arabs in that mosque and I tried to strike conversations with some of Arabs female. They were all really really nice. And pretty too.

HM#1 has a sister. Like all sisters in the world (me and my sisters included), disagreement is mutual. They are so different from each other and have small cat-fights all the times. But I know, deep down HM#1 loves her sis. Her sis is quite pleasant person to know actually. She taught me a new hairdo style and put massive loads of make-up on HM#2 for all the time we were at her house. Which was something new.

HM#2 is a make-up virgin. HM#1's sister coaxed her to use some, and offered to do the full deal on her face and my God, how she transformed after that was an achievement! HM#2 did look gorgeous with all the pink-theme make-ups. Cute! I think she should use make-ups more often, like everyday, hehe, as she already has good skin to start off with. With a bit of enhancement, she looks million dollars. She think that putting make-ups will take a lot of time saying that she will have to wake up early to be able to do so. (Ed: That, my dear, is p53's concern too! Sleepy and Reasonably Pretty-- Dare to sacrifice sleep to look pretty?)

Girls will always be girls, just how boys will always be boys.

Anyway, I wish I could celebrate Eid with my own family back in my hometown regardless how much fun I'm having in this foreign land. Which would mean that I have to fly for millions of miles for thousands of hours and more importantly spend hundreds of quids on tickets. I'm super skint now so 600pounds is definitely gonna crush my budget. Would anyone be generous enough to sponsor my trip there pronto?

Back home, my families will give our share fare of meat offerings. My mum said she will cook meat until it becomes supple and then invite all the neighbours. Most of my cousins, uncles and aunts will be there. I could actually hear all of them when I called home on the Eid day. O how I miss the whole atmosphere with familiar faces. And loves. I am never the kind of girl that will go mushy and softy with the whole home-sick business but I definitely miss them in times like this.

No comments: