Wednesday 9 July 2008

In patient's shoes

Pardon the cliche.

I was a patient today. Have got some sort of procedure done to my eyes. Sheeesh. It wasn't painful at all but I still felt sorry for myself. I walked out of the hospital straight into a bed (at a friend's place). At first I thought I want to cry, but then I thought again- if it wasn't painful, why the hell should I cry. Possibly I'm feeling SOOOOOOO sorry for myself.

With all things being said about NHS and its downfall, I beg to differ. NHS isn't that bad. Waiting time (to get a follow-up appointment) is probably longer than what I would have like it to be, but at point of service delivery, its up to the standard. All the staff at the Eye Ward treated me with respect. No.. its not just the cup of coffee that they offered me after the procedure that won me over, it was the great service that I received the entire time I was there.

Prior to the procedure*, I was consented by my ophthalmologist. (Editor's Note: Notice p53 habit of calling any doctor as hers, MY ophthalmologist, MY consultant) Let us call him Mr V. I've met Mr V before this. He explained the procedure and all the time I gazed into his blue eyes. How appropriate? A decent man with gorgeous eyes as an ophthalmologist. Aw.. He is definitely one of the doctors that could easily be someone who I want to be like. Very charming.

After inserting two set of silicon into my eyes, he said: "that's beautiful"

And I was like, oh...(dopey-eyed) thank you Mr V. But I didn't.

He must have meant it for me right? He couldn't be referring to the silicon right? Its just merely a microscopic object that he has probably seen millions times before.

But in my parallel, imaginary world I would have said so. "That's beautiful" will refer to my eye(s). Yours truly.

So there you go. I have got silicon somewhere in my eyes.

Now at the time of writing (which about 12 hours post procedure) I still am feeling sorry for myself. Even the best bath** I ever had could not lift my spirit up. So, don't mess around with me tonight.

*Procedure: insert silicon to lacrimal ducts to prevent dry eyes to further prevent damage to corneas. I had temporary ones inserted into them ducts about a month ago.
**Story about the best bath in next entry.

No comments: