Tuesday 8 January 2008

Smoking Speed

Yeah, speed.
a.k.a Amphetamine.

I never knew that Amphetamine can boost ones energy level and improve self-confident. Really it can! It is a stimulant that act on the central nervous system and increase brain activity. Large proportion of amphetamine users are single mothers with more than one kid under five. Apparently amphetamine makes them energetic and improve self-esteem enabling them to interact more socially with the world. Their house is immaculate (according to the social workers) as they are very quick in doing work. That's where the term speed coined from.

That's fact number one that I'd gathered from the Drug Awareness Training session held at my GP surgery today. The training was organized by the Drug and Alcohol Action Team of the local PCT for surgery's staff. It was brilliant. There were various street drugs on display in their physical form (cocaine in block, powdery cocaine, Ecstasy pills, marijuana dried leaves) together with the different methods of taking them (small spoon for heating, rolls of filter paper for snorting, syringes for injection). I think that's the closest that I'll ever get to the drugs. Seeing it. I will never try any drug experimentally, take it recreationally or hook onto it dependently.

Fact two: One will feel like being enclosed in bubble wrap when taking heroin. Feeling safe and protected from everything. No pain at all.

Fact three: Nurofen Plus is one of the new emerging culprit. Why oh why? Half, literally half, of the Nurofen Plus tablet is actually codeine and the other half is paracetamol. Both parts are combined right in the middle during the manufacturing process of the tablet. I was completely dumbfounded by then as I just couldn't believe it. Previously the paracetamol half of the tablet is pink in colour and the codeine half is white. A lot of people knew about this halving secret and there was like a mini 'endemic' of Nurofen abuse. Now the manufacturers change it to both white halves, but codeine is one half still. And I'm not gonna tell which one is which.

Fact four: Cannabis is weed is marijuana is puff is hash is ganja is blow. Before this the only other word I know that people use to describe cannabis is: DOPE.

Fact five: The most common combination of multiple drug abuse is Crack + Heroin. Crack is cocaine that can be smoked. Crack is a stimulant too. Once the effects of crack fades one will feel like a total shit (withdrawal-kind of shit). So they will take heroin to help ease the 'withdrawal'. Heroin acts as a cushion more or less. And before they know it, they are already addicted to two different but equally dangerous substances. Shame!!!

There are lot more points that I gathered during the two hours slot. But I haven't got time to type it all tonight. I have to do my PBL. I will continue in the next post.
Loves, p53 xxx

No comments: