Tuesday 22 January 2008

Implanon

I had seen so many implants (in this case IMPLANON- the progesterone contraceptive method with a very low failure rate) being inserted. This morning I saw one being removed. Ouch. It looked painful (but I didn't tell this to the patient who was facing to the opposite side). There was a lot of blood coming out from such a tiny cut (2mm).

Patient: I can feel the pushing.

Doctor: That's normal. Its the pain that you shouldn't be feeling.

Patient: (Looking at me) Does it look gore?

Me: No, not at all.

Doctor: She'll probably seen worse in her surgical attachment.

Me: Hmm... this is nothing like 'The Hostel" if that what you're thinking.

Doctor: What's hostel?

I'm sure she'll end up with BIG bruise after all the pushing and tugging (of about 30mins! can you believe that? The doctor told me that this was the longest she had ever taken to remove an implant- boy, she (the doctor, not the patient) did look traumatic afterwards- usually removal is just a straight forward less than 10mins business). I told the patient to take paracetamol asap coz I just know it's gonna hurt after the local anaesthetics wear off.

That's it: NO IMPLANON FOR ME. EVER!

No comments: