Saturday 27 September 2008

Updates

Hi to all, 
How is everyone? Hope weekend brings only joy to everyone's life.

Okkkaaay...
I finished one month placement in a block called Student Selected Block (SSB).
Glad that I started with SSB first (i mean if say for example I were to start straight to hospital placement with a surgeon- which will definately crush my world and make me miserable). 
During SSB I had chance to laze around (like seriously) and eased myself in a very relax and slow-mo way into learning atmosphere (remember that by the time final year started I had NOT done any serious reading -on medicine and surgery- for at least 5 months: yeah- all due to short project, big project and summer holiday). so phew!

The essence of SSB is for students to do as much as (or as little as- like me- BAD!!!) they like to gain insights into the medical world. Sound cliche I know, but we are talking business here man! There were compulsory sessions to revise skills (which was an utter waste of time me thinks because we all fecking know already ALL the bloody skills). Then there were human simulation sessions (SIMs) that were exciting at times and got stressful at the others. In SIMs, students were asked to managed a dummy for various emergency situation. The SIMs can speak, blink his eyes, has circulating blood, receive IV drugs n fluids and for f*** sake has a cardiac arrest!!! 

On top of all that, we had to do compulsory sign-ups fo career taster (read: spend a day or half a day with a consultant asking them a lot of questions about their specialty and hopefully taste what the specialty can offer). I was personally frustrated that specialty like genetics and hematology are not included in the list. Instead we had this long list of rubbish. And due to compulsory nature of having to do at least one career taster per week, reluctantly I had to sign-up for the rubbish ones (you can choose, but the choices are very limited, and all the interesting ones- I know how roughly the specialty works as I had spent time in doing projects- like oncology etc). Neurophysiology- wtf? Plastic surgery. At least now I know for certain that I wont ever choose to specialize in either  of them. 

If there was one good thing that come out of the career taster rubbishness; it'll be spending a morning with a newly appointed, not to mention super cute, Anaesthetist. He is so charming, its untrue. Seriously, I swooned and drooled. So bad, p53. But hey ho, anaesthetics is again NOT an area of interest. Radiology, however, seem promising (never thought that it'll be!) so I will definately consider it in case of me being complacent and as lazy as I am right now comes 5 years time. 

So that's roughly an SSB block in smallcity's base hospital. I heard in other base hospitals, they hardly have anything (what? two weeks of nothingness?) and close to 200 students were placed at this tertiary cancer centre of excellence. Dont know which one is better, our SSB or theirs. I still choose our SSB despite its utter crappyness over complete nothingness that will only send me straight to depression-land. 

Ok guys, weather is nice. I'm gonna go out and soak some sun and probably hit on some guys. Whoops.

Ps: Eid celebration program is in place. Whoops whoops... I baked some cookies last nite and managed to find matching scarf and shoes for my eid dress the weekend before. And now, who should I pick to be my arm candy (read: date) for the big kick ass eid celebration party in BIGCITY?

No comments: