Wednesday 1 October 2008

Snippets

Here are snippets of life from the past few days: hospital and non-hospital related.
i) I started with a new team last Monday and I seriously could NOT ask for a better team. One month of hospital placement with a stroke/ elderly medicine team. The SpR, the ST doctor and the FY1 are all fabulous. I love them. Yet to meet my consultant (although I know him from previous teachings) as he is on his week-off for Eid celebration.

ii) Talking of which, we celebrated our Eid on Tuesday. Yeay! I didnt take any day off, no point really as there were no mosque close by that I could have gone to for Eid prayer. So I went to hospital instead. (No kidding).

iii) On Tuesday I received a lot of Eid wishes and that made me happy. I talked and examined alot of patients and that made the patients happy. I taught some 3rd year juniors some CT thorax and murmurs and that made them happy. I got off my ward early and that made me even happier. Then I had big dinner with housemates (they cooked traditional dishes and I baked!) and of course that made me super happy. Then when I thought I couldnt be any more happier than I was at the time, my crush called me. And that made me float. Really.

iv) So today I brought some of the cookies for my team and staff at the ward. I grinned from ears to ears with the reception that I received for my humble little cookies. 

v) Ward was quiet today. Except for a patient who screamed (very loudly!!!) when ST tried to cannulate him. He said and I quote: "I dont want anything doing with me anymore, just let me be. If its my time, then let me die. Stop... stop... stop everything (voice diminished)..."

Questions: When do we know when exactly to stop? When patient is competent, can we doctors still intervene against patient's wish, in the name of -patient best interest-? What happen to our oath if we dont do anything to this patient? Is it a passive euthanasia if we let the patient be? Does prolonging patient's life means prolonging patient's suffering?

vi) Alrighty, that was btw a patient with rectal cancer who bleeded PR last night (passing maleana and clots of fresh blood). He was an 80y-o (4years hx of cancer) and refusing any further interventions (fluids, bloods, endoscopy etc). This was a same patient who reported seeing things that werent there (?hallucination due to secondary mets in brain). Bless his soul. I dont want him to suffer anymore, but I dont want him to die either. Tough call. 

vi) One of my friends came to my ward (her ward was opposite my ward) and she was surprised to see that my ward is very modern and new and spacious and nicely done. And that my team is super friendly. Ha. Just my luck.

vii) Then later today I cooked soto for dinner. Very delicious yet very time consuming and patience-testing dish. So many different steps (make the rice, then the soup, then have to shred the chicken, then boil potatoes, then mix with mince meat, make meatballs, fry them, make fried onions, prepare cripsy vermicelli, prepare spicy chilli soy-sauce, omg why did I choose to make this in the first place???) Luckily I got help from couple of very nice people, even then all the cooking took 2 hours to complete. It look like this [picture credit]

Good day? yes. hope everyone is also having a good time no matter what you guys are doing. 
xoxo gossip girl eh, xzxz sleepy medic.

No comments: