Thursday 14 February 2008

Why does other consultant always pick on me?

yeah, why?

They kinda pick on students of other consultants. I think. From my personal experience, other consultants that I have worked with didn't seem impressed me asking a lot of questions and not knowing half of the stuff. MY consultant never say anything about that.

"So you are MR ******'s student?" asked a gynae consultant today. Rather in a sarcastic manner.
"Yupe!" (I would rather answer it sarcastically too... like.. Hell yeah, I AM student of MR ******!!)

He asked me questions regarding his subject of interest. Few of which I failed terribly to answer, muddling up definition of few things. He speaks with a posh London accent. And joked about medical school doesnt teach us anything these days. Now i understand what MY consultant meant when he said this consultant speak as if he got an orange stuck up his arse.

For all honesty, his subject of interest is my subject of interest too. So despite the continuous questions about figures and statistics, and of course correction for my answers, I managed to stay focus for the 3hours long clinic. For this consultant, I think I should just ignore his quirkiness about having other student in his clinic because he is INDEED a very good consultant. Have to look wayyyyy pass his up front behaviour in order to learn. For our last patient of today's clinic he brought me along into the examination room (instead of the FY1) so that I could see how vulval carcinoma looks like.

That was today, few weeks back when MY consultant was away another one picked on me too by asking me advanced level of anatomy. How the hell I was supposed to know the name of other ligaments in pelvic except for the usual ones like broad and round ligaments? Even my registrar noted that for which afterwards she consoled me for. "take no notice" she said "he likes to questions students especially the ones he just met".

After moderate level of bashing during operations (4 if I remember correctly) I left because it was not doing me any good. I felt completely degraded that day. The registrar backed me up a lot of time in the theatre room and she suggested me to leave as the rest of the operations are the common ones that I have seen before (read: there's no point staying if he's gonna throw insults expecting me to swallow it all). She was right. I left. I think if I stay any longer I would have start replying in a rather retaliating way.

Boo...

PS: In case you guys are wondering how vulval cancer looks like... it is gross. And if I wasnt imagining, this one has got a distinct smell to it.

No comments: