Saturday 23 February 2008

Updates

Dear readers,

Sorry for the lack of entries. I have been relatively busy with O&G, this being my last week there. Cramming in as much clinical experience as I could in my final week here. That mean I attended every single clinic albeit being late for some due to (not un-fore-seen events of) oversleeping. (shocking?!)

There was a mock OSCE (later referred as Mosce) on Thursday organized by the Registrars. I was like: Shit! I hardly know anything (in term of acting in front of examiners, just yet: I mean come on, OSCE is all about acting isn't it?). I am fine talking/dealing with patients in clinics and wards, but certainly not at all prepared for an assessment.

Indeed, I did quite good for my standard. haha. Me being super nervous in my first station (as usual) and then went along rather swiftly through the rest of the Mosce. Feedback session at the end of the Mosce revealed good level of medical knowledge but should have improve in term of controlling pace of talking (I talk very fast when I'm nervous) and getting the techniques of doing the skills methodically.

Fair enough. This should get me cracking for the real one! (In April if I remember correctly)

Then MY consultant mentioned that one of the registrars said that I performed well in her station. Me and my wit! ha! So that helped. He said "I know you, you're a fast thinker. Quick and have your own wits. But you cant solely depend on that alone. You've got great personality and appear brilliant in front of the patients and get along well with the team. Remember this! I want a clinician who is very composed, not someone who is anxious because I don't want my patients to be scared to hell by my junior doctors."

Yadayadayada. Well. I just can't help it, my facial expression changes so dramatically depending on the cues given by the examiners. I was in fact only slightly nervous in the stations, but nooooo my face gave me away. BOOO!

"I can see you becoming a great clinician in whichever specialty your choose to do"
--> now, that coming from the most gruesome, tough Foundation Year Director of this hospital, surely IS something.

Good.

The registrar who did the first station dragged me along with her to see all her antenatal patients. She was surprise to see that I was all fine, interacted well with the real life patients and got all my techniques correct. See! I can do it after all. She advised taking yoga to improve the self-control. Especially during stressful times. Ok, note taken there.

Then I bid goodbye to both of them. Definitely gonna miss MY consultant and all the registrars. Plus the SHO who I just starting to get to know. So in short, O&G is amazing! I havent learn much from MY consultant (he only ever taught me 2 things: infertility and menopause)

On a different note:
i) I have been quite active this week. Rockclimbing twice. Tried bouldering as well. Body combat. Gym and a lot of running outdoors too.
ii) I've put on 3kg from (almost) a week worth of Italian foods -making my total weight 44kg. Yippee! Another kilo before I can donating blood. Target on hold.
iii) I've started planning for my grand Europe tour. AMAZING!!! Just by looking at the proposed map, I was all excited. (I still need to plan my elective.)
iv) My blog hopping habit is becoming worse. I can sit in front of computer and do the random blog hopping (fashion and celebs gossip blogs especially) for hours. ARGGGGHHH!!!
v) Result of Jan progress test came out. I was fine. lalalala.

So, that are highlights from this week. Personally, I have changed. Am a different person now, though not completely. This O&G placement has not only been a good learning experience but also part of my journey to find myself. Emotionally challenged at some points. Conflicts within myself. Confronting my fear head-on. Standing for what I believe. Receiving advises along the way by those who I respect and trust. Gosh. Sotto hohoende!!!

Next week: Paeds--> bring it on!!

No comments: