Saturday 4 October 2008

Early morning awakening

God no, its 5am in the morning. And here I am logging onto internet, doing nothing in particular. I was awake since half 3. And for that I call myself a freak.

My sleeping pattern changed alot since the end of Ramadan (fasting month). Sleeping more than ever. You'd be surprise to know that on average I sleep more than 10 hours (even on weekdays!) Surely it wont do any good to my revision program (yup I do have one but failing very terribly to stick to the program).

However after a general inquiry to most of my friends, some of them also experienced sleeping problem. My gay best friend mentioned that he is currently lacking in sleep (the general medicine placement is too taxing he said). Some other fell ill due to changes in weather lately. 

I think it the weather that wavers most hope we have inside of us. North west of the UK is notorious for that. This week has been an absolute nightmare. Some days it was pissing it down and some days it was sunny at 11am up to a point of boiling (of course in turtleneck and boots- who wouldnt- because it was initially wet and cold when I left my flat at 8am). You can bet that on the day that I forget to bring my brollies (umbrella) it will rain like hell. 

I can actually feel a Seasonal Affective Disorder creeping in. Tsk. 

I am noticably more quiet than usual (whatttt??) and prefer sleeping more than doing other thing. Some days I feel like snapping at people (esp one of my flatmates who behaves like a cow) and hospital is the only place I seek refuge from. Weird but true. In hospital with my team (in ward or clinic) I am still me. Generous, helpful and full with smiles. Out of hospital (even when walking toward the bloody bus stop- see Im doing it now), more often than not, I am a miserably person with very low energy level. 

At least I dont lose interest in thing I like doing. FYI, reading textbooks has never been in that category (category: thing I like doing). I still get excited over groceries shopping, watching and commenting on Xfactor and ANTM, and enjoying good food. 

Hope things will get better soon, p53.

Given above was an internal monologue of a final year medical student. Evaluate the situation (10marks).

No comments: