Tuesday 24 June 2008

BORDERS and others

I went to Borders (a national chain of bookshops for those who doesn't live in UK) this afternoon just to kill time. I woke up rather late (what a surprise) and decided to have my lunch first before going to hospital for life-sucking act of reading patients notes later in the afternoon.

That was actually killing two birds with one stone. I wanted to avoid my tutor. I know that he wont be around on TUE-WED-THUR, so if I could avoid him today, I have at least until THURSDAY night to procrastinate (from doing a very much due report, tsk tsk tsk). So what other better way to waste my time rather than going to my 'favourite' place in smallcity, the BORDERS (yup the one that has Paperchase (yeah!) and Starbucks (yeah yeah!!)).

So off I went.

I read few books (leisure browsing was more like it). Books that are worth mentioning:-

i) Happyslapped by a jellyfish (Karl Pilkington)
Its one of those books written by comedian ranting about everything with a funny twist. I had to admit though I laughed at every other page. Trust me, he is dead funny. I used to listen to his Podcasts a lot (I really mean a lot- waiting for new Podcasts or re-listen to older ones) especially the ones where he joined forces with Ricky Gervais. Reading his book (this one is about his various vacation, and cynically about his misfortune of having to go to hospital because of kidney stone - with a completely hilarious account on how he had camera up his nob!) reminds me of what a great comedian he is. I forgot how funny he was. I stopped listening to him after I broke-up with my last ex, as the negative association (karl-and-ex) was too unbearable to have. We used to watch Karl stand-up comedy together. Boo! Well, that aside, this book is certainly a good material for summer reading on the beaches of Ibiza, if not, for throwing at annoying holidaymaker.

ii) House of Leaves (Mark Z. Danielewski)
OH MY GOD! I had finally have this sacred book right in front of my eyes, right in my hands. I have been looking for this book since I first saw my ex-housemate reading it in FIRST YEAR. Yup readers, almost four years ago that was. The book is thick, aptly so for the story it holds. (Retailing at 20pounds) One of those cult, weird books that you have to have patience to read. The first sentence is insane: "This is not for you" (you know the bit where the author usually dedicate the book to their loves ones). Then the books has references (this is a fiction), in which the references has references of its own, and add in several appendixes and crazy pictures. Typing inside is an absolute nightmare (or a puzzle- depend which one you prefer to see it as) with pages where sentences are typed in a circle/square/have to be read with a mirror/etc. Is'nt that just pure genius (even more for a debut novel)? I love it and I will try to get my hands (this time around meaning to own it) on it.

iii) Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
I was a bit surprise to see that it is actually thinner than the Order of Phoenix. Never realized that. Will buy one later too, just to complete the HP's set that I have. Just.

So after thinking that I might have just manage to avoid my tutor I made my way back to the hospital (20mins walking + 5mins on bus). However, one of my friends was dead bored too doing her project. I was more than ever receptive to the idea of getting an afternoon coffee.

So off we went.

Bought few drinks and sat in the sun garden talking/gossiping/people watching for more than 2 hours. Boy, time do fly when we are having fun!

So off I went finally to my tutor's office.

I saw that he was there in the room but with his back towards me. SO practically he didnt see me.

So off I made an escape. Swiftly and quickly (using the word quickly is an understatement- with the speed of light?).

I reversed. And made my way to the stairs and out of the cancer centre without looking back.

Secretly grinning. Phew. That was close.

No comments: