Wednesday 21 May 2008

Traveling (the bad one)

Sitting in the train the other day, looking outside as the world passed by, I thought to myself: in less than an hour I will be at home in my own bed. The distance (door to door) between my home in smallcity to my friend's place in BIGCITY is about 40miles. Here in UK I can travel between the aforementioned locations in just under 2 hours (provided that I don't miss any connection) all with public transport.

Now lets compare it to public transportation back home (especially my hometown).

For a 40miles journey, I won't even attempt to use public transport (not even for anything else for that matter actually). I will drive; or get someone to drive me to my destination. Back home, I certainly feel limited as to what is accessible. Restricted in other word. Imagine having use the tube-equivalent then still have to use a cab to get back home (no bus!). I can walk, but hell no with all the shopping.

Medical students are more likely to own a car once they get into clinical years. Community placements, DGH placement; being in one hospital for AM session, then communication skill session (PM) in another hospital, only to rush back to base hospital to borrow some books; the potential annoying traveling stories are endless. Thank God, so far I managed to travel/commute with bus/train/coach/tram only (only used as a paradox). The cost of train tickets are extortionately expensive (Editor's Note: p53 will probably talk about this in some other entries).

There are times that I thought of buying a car here. But is it really necessary?

P.S: Traveling (the good one) is going to somewhere foreign with lots of sun.
P.P.S: Click here for my dream summer car.

No comments: