Wednesday 30 April 2008

Termination of Pregnancy

[will be referred as TOP here after]

Remember me telling you about my special placement in community? I'm actually doing an audit on TOP at a GP surgery located at the outskirt of the BIGCITY. This is my first audit and it is going on quite well. I'm pretty damn pleased with myself.

The most distressing fact that I gathered from my audit is the fact that almost 50% of all cases of TOP at my GP surgery were from women under the age of 19. Hardly shocking, I know. The very same statistics are reported by the DoH studies year by year.

In any average population, young girls (some had it done repeatedly, how irresponsible?) made up the biggest group of women asking for TOP for unwanted pregnancies. Not to say that TOP is morally right to begin with.


Don’t get me wrong I do agree for TOP if continuing the pregnancy imposes either a great risk to mother or if the fetus is nonviable anyway (like anencephaly or Patau). But I am certainly pro-life. And I think the idea of abortion just because say the timing is not right is absolutely appalling!


In this specific audit I’m writing an essay for, the youngest woman asking for TOP was only 15 year 4 month. That’s not even over the legal age for sex! But do teenage these days even care to have it the safe way (with barrier protection and reliable method of contraception) if they are at it like rabbits?

It is still a wonder to me how certain group of people remains irresponsible for their own well being and takes unnecessary risks. If one decides to have sex with a member of opposite gender, please pretty please use appropriate protection.

PS:Dont get me started on STDs.

No comments: