Thursday 5 March 2009

Managing an arrest

I attended an ILS (Intermediate Life Support) course the other day. All of us 5th years are required to attend one before graduating. So hopefully everyone with be equipped with the necessary skill needed by the time one start working as FYs.

One of the ILS instructors looked familiar. He was one of these people that you come across alot in hospital (in wards/in canteen/along the corridor/in shuttle bus) but yet still don't know who he is or what is his job really. Of course me being me- I want to know everything about everybody. So when I first saw him that ILS morning, it was killing me that I don't know who he is.

By lunch time, we were split into smaller groups so that actual scenarios of cardiac arrest could be simulated for a smaller number of attenders. I was in his group. Then for the first time in 3 years I heard his voice. And you guys would be amazed to know that he speaks in a language that I don't know. Yup. Really.

So there he was yapping about stuff (stuff because I had no idea of wth he was talking about) to the whole group and me straining/struggling to understand what exactly he was going on about.

He speaks English.

English with heavy Welsh accent.

I swear to God, out of all people that I've heard giving instruction for the whole 5 years I'm here, his accent was something of a different level. Well above the level of thick Lancashire accent of an 80y-o gentleman, the Scouse, the Scottish, the newly arrived doctors from India/Africa, Manglish of the IMUs students and the rest.

So imagine the shock that I had when each of us had to manage a case of cardiac arrest each, having not understanding half of the guideline.

Well initial shock anyways.

Luckily I kinda well abreast with the ILS algorithm.

And its not a simple one I tell you.

Learning Points:
i) Double check the medications with at least another person before administrating them. Beware they all start with "A" (Adrenaline, Atropine and Amiodarone).
ii) Keep calm and carry on. (sure as hell one will be nervous with the adrenaline rush when put on spot managing cases like these).
iii) You can refuse to do mouth-to-mouth resuscitation provided that you have a strong reason not to and could justify it in the court.

Question:
Ok now I had my ILS cert already, when I can do the ADVANCED Life Support Course??

No comments: